As a long-time freelancer, I’m always on the lookout for new resources to keep me productive, sane, and possibly stave off my descent into a human pudding pop in a desk chair. Here are some of my favorites currently!
For Your Biz:
- Picture Your Prosperity by Ellen Rogin and Lisa Kueng – Did you cut stuff out of magazines a bunch when you were a kid and make collages? I know I did. This book had me feeling like a kid again, busting out the scissors, glue, poster board. It’s probably a good book for anyone to work through, but I feel like it’s especially perfect for freelancers as we have more control over what direction to take our businesses and the visualizations they have you do pushed me to think a little more about what I wanted out of my business and why.
- Google Keep – This tutorial by the amazing Jenna Soard completely changed how I organize my day. I even abandoned my beloved ToDoIst!
- Grammarly PRO – I’ve talked about Grammarly before, back when I had the free version. I loved it then, and I adore it now. Okay, so embarrassing story: When I was first starting my virtual assistance business, I was trying to think of a clever one-sentence summary of what I did. Finally, in a flash of inspiration, it came to me “Helping you create a business and life you love.” I thought to myself, “gee, I’m smart. That sounds great. Oh, now to watch the latest Marie Forleo video…heyyy…” (It’s Marie Forleo’s tagline). D’oh! This experience is why I’m so in love with Grammarly’s plagiarism checker. I know I’d never intentionally swipe someone else’s words, but I’d rather be on the safe side from now on! If you do any writing at all in your freelance biz, do check it out.
For Your Sanity:
- Secret Garden An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book by Johanna Basford – The first time I ever heard of an adult coloring was about ten years ago from an acquaintance who said that was their jam. I remember thinking it was pretty weird. But, here I am, on the bandwagon and wishing I’d gotten on sooner. It’s a great stress reliever, and I like what an easy, non-screen related break it is. This book is beautiful! The first pages are pretty complicated too, so you’ll have this book around for a while. I’m using Crayola colored pencils, but I’d love some alternative suggestions cuz they’re not doing it for me.
- This bubble bath smells soooo nice! Do I really need to explain why baths are wonderful? Didn’t think so.
- This foot massager. I want. I don’t have, but I want. I would work all day with this bad boy rubbing my feet.
For Your Entertainment:
- Prime Radio (RIP SONGZA)! If you’ve got Prime, don’t be a dummy and take advantage of the radio perk. Lot’s of ad-free music to keep you going throughout the workday, which if you’re a freelancer is possibly never-ending (unless you get some help!).
- Please just listen to the Judge John Hodgman podcast.
For Your Health:
- Matcha/Genmaicha – I’ve always loved both tea and coffee, but recently switched to this green tea as my morning beverage. It’ll keep you caffeinated enough, but not so much that you one day find yourself typing grandiose ideas all morning under gritted teeth with a stomachache.
- Yoga with Adriene Yoga Camp – I like this woman. I’m working hard on getting back in shape this year. These videos aren’t too intense, don’t take up much space, and you don’t need much equipment outside of a mat.
- FitBit – I’m sure you’ve heard of these little step tracker bracelets before. I got one over the holidays, and I can’t believe what a difference it makes! It’s also a good way to keep connected with other people in your industry. You can challenge each other in a step-off and cheer one your friends/colleagues along. It’s an investment, but it’s worth it in my opinion.
So, what resources are you currently going crazy over right now? I’m obsessed with this stuff, so please share in the comments!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. Thank you for your support 🙂